Permanent and full time.
Are you a talented Web Developer looking to join a dynamic and growing development team? Does your love of all things digital go beyond the code and get under the skin of the user? Do you obsess about clean, performant code? If yes, you may be interested in what we’ve got to offer.
Proctor + Stevenson has reached the enviable status of Global Partner for Panasonic, providing multi-language digital solutions for a vast range of international stakeholders.
Named the "Best Drupal House in Europe" by Panasonic’s Marketing Director, we’ve been providing multi-site solutions for over 7 years, including:
• Headless Drupal 8 applications with Angular frontends for North America and Japan.
• European Business Sites with 90,000 pages in 22 Languages.
• B2B Portals for North America and Germany.
• Product Databases utilised in Japan and Europe.
• Dashboard for creating Marketing Collateral.
Our continued growth means we need a talented web developer to join our dedicated team of developers, testers, digital designers and content editors. You’ll be working with Panasonic, and other clients in Europe, the middle east, the US and UK to create industry-leading web applications.
What you’ll be needing
If it’s all sounding rather marvellous so far, read on for the key skills we’re looking for.
• Solid industry object-oriented PHP experience.
• Strong knowledge of MySQL.
• Standards-compliant HTML and CSS.
• Git version control.
Bonus points for experience in
• Drupal 8, especially headless.
• Symfony and MVC methodologies.
• Knowledge of jsonapi.org spec.
• 3rd party APIs.
• Responsive site building.
• Linux and Apache configuration.
• Performance optimisation (e.g. Memcache).
• Docker and Ansible.
• Frontend frameworks such as Angular.
• Issue-tracking software, such as Redmine.
• Previous work with outsourced web development teams.
• International language skills, in particular Japanese.
What you’ll be doing
You’ll work in the Digital team alongside the Project and Client Services teams, reporting directly to the Head of Development, to ensure the smooth delivery and outstanding performance of sites on a global scale.
A typical day will be filled with lots of PHP, developing web-based and standalone applications for exciting and varied projects that range from several days to several months. Day-to-day we use Drupal 8 as our framework of choice, but we also use Symfony and Wordpress where needed. Much of what we do is considered more traditional software engineering as we look to build API-first applications using a serverless and microservice architecture in conjunction with AWS tools.
We’re an enthusiastic bunch, always striving to improve our collective skills and willing to try new things (when it comes to digital at least!). So, if you’re keen on teamwork and continual development (excuse the pun) you’ll fit right in.
It’s often fast-paced with super-tight deadlines, but you’ll have the chance to work with some of the latest technologies, including Docker, Ansible, Elasticsearch, Angular and Headless Drupal. Although not vital, any experience with these will be a massive bonus.
• Positive and enthusiastic.
• Eagle-eyed when it comes to detail, with a love of clean, secure, well-documented code.
• Able to debug and investigate problems efficiently.
• Knowledgeable of the importance of performance optimisation.
• Rather brilliant at personal time management in order to deliver projects to mutually agreed deadlines.
• Able to provide accurate time estimates for allocated work.
• Flexible in your approach, and able to cope with multiple projects at any one time.
• An excellent communicator.
• A team player who is comfortable working alone when required.
• Highly professional, punctual and reliable.
What you’ll be getting
• 23 days holiday, increasing to 25 – plus bank holidays.
• Training and development opportunities – technical, professional and other exciting skills (we are currently learning Japanese!).
• The chance to immerse yourself in, and learn from, international client projects.
• Company pension scheme.
• Maternity and paternity benefits.
• Healthcare cash plan.
• Private medical insurance.
• Flexible working including core hours, flexible and extended lunch breaks, late starts for business travellers and remote working.
• Cycle to work scheme with secure cycle parking (and showers and a drying room at the office).
• Retail and gym discounts.
• Regular employee awards as voted by colleagues - a chance to reward those who deserve a thank you, with cash or prizes.
• Business development and recruitment finder’s fees.
• Regular foodie pop-ups in our café.
• Regular team socials including free (employee run) lunchtime fitness and relaxation sessions, board game nights and other fun nights/days out.
• As much tea and coffee, and as many biscuits as a human can handle.
• An all-round wonderful place to work, in the great city of Bristol, with lovely people who are passionate about what they do but have fun while they do it.
Who we are
Based in the heart of vibrant Bristol, Proctor + Stevenson is a highly respected, international creative digital agency with a focus on measurable results.
Whether on or offline, we provide a full range of design and marketing services, from strategy, campaigns and lead generation, to brand building, events, product communications and web builds and products.
And we’re pretty good at it too, having won numerous accolades in both the UK and USA, including various Recommended Agency Roster Awards, and winner of Best International Brand Strategy at the Drum Marketing Awards.
Just a handful of the names we work with on a regular basis include, Panasonic, Prysmian, Rathbones, Saudi Arabian Airlines, BMW/Mini Financial Services, Daikin, South West Water and Regus.
We’re a thriving, fast-growing company. So fast, in fact, that we outgrew our home and had to design and build a new one in Easton – one of Bristol’s most creative quarters.
Our office space is truly a beautiful place to work, with exposed brickwork, plenty of light, a café and kitchen, showers, solar panels, snugs and meeting rooms aplenty. What’s more, we’re a short walk from the artisan eateries of St Mark’s road, a short stroll from two train stations and a stone’s throw from a wealth of bus stops.
We’ve been in the business for over four decades and have an experienced and inspirational team of professionals numbering 70+. We’re proud to be an independent, dynamic and friendly company that really takes care of its staff, offering exciting challenges and room to thrive, with plenty of entertainment and laughter.
So, if you like the sound of us, and you have what it takes, please send your CV and a brief covering note to firstname.lastname@example.org. Don’t forget to list your name, followed by the position you are applying for in the subject line.
• First telephone interview with our Head of Development and Principal Developer.
• Second stage will be to respond to a technical test, done in your own time but within an agreed timeframe, from home.
• Third and final stage will be to interview with our HR Manager, Head of Development and Principal Developer and, if time allows, a separate final chat with our Managing Director, Digital Director and/or Head of Digital Projects.
We are an equal opportunities employer, welcoming applications from all, and we will always seek to consider flexible working options if appropriate.