Permanent and full-time
Are you a talented Web Developer looking to join a dynamic and growing development team? Does your love of all things digital go beyond the code and get under the skin of the user? Do you obsess about clean, performant code? If yes, you may be interested in what we’ve got to offer.
Proctor + Stevenson has reached the enviable status of Global Partner for Panasonic, providing multi-language digital solutions for a vast range of international stakeholders.
Named the "Best Drupal House in Europe" by Panasonic’s Marketing Director, we’ve been providing multi-site solutions for over 7 years, including:
- European Business Sites with 90,000 pages in 22 Languages
- B2B Portals for North America and Germany
- Product Databases utilised in Japan and Europe
- Dashboard for creating Marketing Collateral
Our continued growth means we need talented web developers to join our dedicated team of developers, testers, digital designers and content editors. You’ll be working with Panasonic, and other clients in Europe, the middle east, the US and UK to create industry-leading web applications.
What you’ll be needing…
If it’s all sounding rather marvellous so far, read on for the key skills we’re looking for. You’ll likely be a passionate all-rounder who can roll up their sleeves to get stuck in. And just as importantly, you’ll be a good egg. Once we’ve had our morning coffee we’re a very friendly lot, so we want a professional yet affable person on our team.
- Computer Science degree or equivalent experience or training.
- Solid industry PHP experience (2+ years).
- Strong knowledge of MySQL.
- Standards-compliant HTML and CSS.
- Git Version Control.
Bonus points for experience in…
- Drupal, especially Headless Drupal.
- Symfony and MVC methodologies.
- Knowledge of jsonapi.org spec.
- 3rd party APIs.
- Responsive site building.
- Linux and Apache configuration.
- Performance optimisation (e.g. Memcache).
- Docker and Ansible.
- Sass and other front-end preprocessor tools such as Gulp or Grunt.
- Issue-tracking software, such as Redmine.
What you’ll be doing…
You’ll work in the Digital team alongside the Project and Client Services teams, reporting directly to the Head of Development, to ensure the smooth delivery and outstanding performance of sites on a global scale.
A typical day will be filled with lots of PHP and Drupal, and you’ll be developing web-based and standalone applications for exciting and varied projects that range from several days to several months. Much of what we do is leaning more towards software engineering as we look to build API-first applications.
We’re an enthusiastic bunch, always striving to improve our collective skills and willing to try new things (when it comes to digital at least!). So, if you’re keen on teamwork and continual development (excuse the pun) you’ll fit right in.
It’s often fast-paced with super-tight deadlines, but you’ll have the chance to work with some of the latest technologies, including Docker, Ansible, Elasticsearch, Angular JS and Headless Drupal. Although not vital, any experience with these will be a massive bonus.
- Eagle-eyed when it comes to detail, with a love of clean, secure, well-documented code.
- Able to debug and investigate problems efficiently.
- Knowledgeable of the importance of performance optimisation.
- Rather brilliant at personal time management in order to deliver projects to mutually agreed deadlines.
- Able to provide accurate time estimates for allocated work.
- Flexible in your approach, and able to cope with multiple projects at any one time.
- An excellent communicator.
- A team player who is comfortable working alone when required.
- Highly professional.
- Punctual and reliable.
What you’ll be getting
- 23 days holiday, increasing to 25 – plus bank holidays.
- Training and development opportunities – technical, professional and other exciting skills (we are currently learning Japanese!).
- The chance to immerse yourself in, and learn from, international client projects.
- Company pension scheme – P+S contribution of 4%, employees 5%.
- Maternity and paternity benefits.
- Profit share scheme.
- Healthcare cash plan.
- Private medical insurance.
- Flexible working including core hours, flexible and extended lunch breaks, late starts for business travellers and remote working.
- Cycle to work scheme with secure cycle parking (and showers and a drying room at the office!).
- Retail and gym discounts.
- Quarterly employee awards as voted by colleagues and a chance to reward those who deserve a big pat on the back, with cash or prizes.
- Weekly foodie pop-ups in our café.
- Regular team socials including free (employee run) lunchtime fitness and relaxation sessions, board game nights and other fun nights/days out.
- As much tea and coffee, and as many biscuits as a human can handle (we’re also looking at bringing in fruit baskets at the moment!).
- An all-round wonderful place to work, in the great city of Bristol, with lovely people who are passionate about what they do but have fun while they do it.
Who we are…
Based in the heart of vibrant Bristol, Proctor + Stevenson is a highly respected, international creative agency with a focus on measurable results.
Whether on or offline, we provide a full range of design and marketing services, from strategy, campaigns and lead generation, to brand building, events, product communications and web builds.
And we’re pretty good at it too, having won numerous accolades in both the UK and USA, including various Recommended Agency Roster Awards, and winner of Best International Brand Strategy at the Drum Marketing Awards.
Just a handful of the names we work with on a regular basis include, Panasonic, Prysmian, Rathbones, Saudi Arabian Airlines, BMW/Mini Financial Services, Daikin, South West Water and Regus.
We’ve been in the business for nearly four decades and have an experienced and inspirational team of professionals numbering 60+. We’re proud to be an independent, dynamic and friendly company that really takes care of its staff, offering exciting challenges and room to thrive, with plenty of entertainment and laughter while you do it.
So, if you like the sound of us, and you have what it takes to deliver the world-class service our clients demand, please send your CV and a brief covering note to email@example.com.
Don’t forget to list your name, followed by the position you are applying for in the subject line.
Once you have sent this, please follow the instructions below, to complete our technical test, so that we can review your application in full:
The technical test can be downloaded from here:
This file contains everything you will need to set up the test site and the task instructions are included in /instructions/. Candidates should first read the README.txt for help on setting up the project. There are 2 sets of instructions, one for candidates experienced with Drupal and one for those who are not. You should decide which test to take, based on your experience.
Candidates should complete as many of the tasks as possible then, when you have finished, supply us with a link for us to access your code and a database dump.
- Once you have provided your technical test, shortlisted candidates will then be offered first interview with our Head of Development, Head of Technical Solutions and HR Manager.
- Second interview will be with both our Digital Director and Managing Director.
We are an equal opportunities employer, welcoming applications from all, and we will always seek to consider flexible working options if appropriate.