Junior Accounts Assistant
Permanent and full time.
Are you an ambitious junior accounts assistant seeking to demonstrate your drive to succeed in a fast moving and challenging Accounts role?
Are you keen to assist and work effectively with the finance department, whilst playing a key role as part of a wider creative and digital agency team?
If yes, you may be interested in what we have to offer.
Who we are
Based in the heart of vibrant Bristol, Proctor + Stevenson is a highly respected, international creative and digital agency with a focus on measurable results.
Whether on or offline, we provide a full range of design and marketing services, from strategy, campaigns and lead generation, to brand building, events, product communications and web builds.
And we’re pretty good at it too, having won numerous accolades in both the UK and USA, including various Recommended Agency Roster Awards, and winner of Best International Brand Strategy at the Drum Marketing Awards.
Just a handful of the names we work with on a regular basis include, Panasonic, Prysmian, Rathbones, Saudi Arabian Airlines, BMW/Mini Financial Services, Daikin, South West Water and Regus.
We’re a thriving, fast-growing company. So fast, in fact, that we outgrew our home and had to design and build a new one in Easton – one of Bristol’s most creative quarters.
Our office space is truly a beautiful place to work, with exposed brickwork, plenty of light, a café and kitchen, showers, solar panels, snugs and meeting rooms aplenty. What’s more, we’re a short walk from the artisan eateries of St Mark’s road, a short stroll from two train stations and a stone’s throw from a wealth of bus stops.
We’ve been in the business for four decades and have an experienced and inspirational team of professionals numbering 70+. We’re proud to be an independent, dynamic and friendly company that really takes care of its staff, offering exciting challenges and room to thrive, with plenty of entertainment and laughter.
What you’ll be doing
You’ll be part of the Proctor + Stevenson Hub (finance, front of house, HR and admin) – the team that holds the office together – reporting directly to our Financial Analyst and Financial Controller.
Fulfilling a crucial support role for the finance team, you will take a keen interest in project progression and performance. You’ll also work alongside the wider Proctors team, developing relationships both internally and externally, so a desire to work in a creative environment is a big plus. Your role will involve working on Proctor + Stevenson Limited and all other companies within the group. It’ll be fast paced with important deadlines, but you’ll be working with a fantastic team, and your role will be hugely varied.
Below are just some of the tasks your typical day will be filled with:
• Bank reconciliation - posting receipts and payments, and monthly bank reconciliations.
• Purchase ledger - processing suppliers’ invoices, reconciliation of supplier accounts and payments.
• Sales ledger - posting and allocating receipts.
• Expenses, credit cards and petty cash, including foreign currency, management and reconciliation.
• Month end and year end accounts.
• Credit control, responsible for liaising with clients and suppliers, UK, Europe and worldwide.
• Cars – maintaining company car register and all supporting documents. Liaising with suppliers for renewals.
• Hire purchase agreements – maintaining register.
• Other financial and general admin tasks, as required.
Once settled into the role, you will start to take on the following additional tasks:
• Assisting in the preparation of monthly management accounts.
• Monthly forecasting and reporting to management.
• Annual budgets – monthly budget reconciliations.
What you’ll be needing
If it’s all sounding rather marvellous so far, read on for the key skills we’re looking for. You’ll likely be a passionate all-rounder who can roll up their sleeves to get stuck in. And just as importantly, you’ll be a good egg. Once we’ve had our morning coffee, we’re a very friendly lot, so we want a professional yet affable person on our team.
• AAT (or similar) qualification or working towards qualification.
• Finance support experience.
• Strong IT skills – Microsoft Excel, Outlook and Word, with the ability to easily pick up new software.
• Good standard of written and spoken English.
• An interest in working in a marketing/agency environment.
• Ability to develop your own relationships with members of our wider team clients, to eventually enable you to independently manage projects and tasks, proactively escalating to Financial Analyst or Financial Controller when required.
• A hands-on and positive approach to problem solving; identifying issues and using your initiative and available resources to generate ideas and solutions.
• Brilliant personal time management and prioritisation skills in order to deliver tasks and projects in a timely fashion.
• Ability to follow important operational processes.
• Respect for client and company confidentiality.
• Conscientious and organised, with strong administration skills and laser-sharp attention to detail.
• Punctual and professional.
• A real team player, contributing to best practice and sharing knowledge, resources and ideas, but comfortable working alone when required.
• Hungry to progress and develop.
• Positive and enthusiastic.
• Hardworking and flexible with a willingness to work outside ‘normal’ hours when required. (This isn’t a regular thing, never fear, but it can happen every so often.)
Bonus points for (but not a necessity)
• Job costing system experience.
• Some experience in working in a similar agency-type environment. In particular, a financial understanding of how project costing and billing processes operate.
What you’ll be getting
● 23 days holiday, increasing to 25 – plus bank holidays.
● Training and development opportunities – technical, professional and other exciting skills. We will be very happy to offer support with study, if you are working towards your financial qualifications.
● The chance to immerse yourself in, and learn from, international client projects.
● Company pension scheme.
● Maternity and paternity benefits.
● Healthcare cash plan.
● Private medical insurance.
● Flexible working including core hours, flexible and extended lunch breaks, late starts for business travellers and remote working.
● Cycle to work scheme with secure cycle parking (and showers and a drying room at the office).
● Retail and gym discounts.
● Regular employee awards as voted by colleagues - a chance to reward those who deserve a thank you, with cash or prizes.
● Business development and recruitment finder’s fees.
● Regular foodie pop-ups in our café.
● Regular team socials including free (employee run) lunchtime fitness and relaxation sessions, board game nights and other fun nights/days out.
● As much tea and coffee, and as many biscuits as a human can handle.
● An all-round wonderful place to work, in the great city of Bristol, with lovely people who are passionate about what they do but have fun while they do it.
So, if you like the sound of us, and you have what it takes, please send your CV and a brief covering note to email@example.com. Don’t forget to list your name, followed by the position you are applying for in the subject line.
• First interview with our Financial Analyst and HR Manager.
• Second and final stage interview with Financial Controller/Company Secretary and Managing Director.
We are an equal opportunities employer, welcoming applications from all, and we will always seek to consider flexible working options if appropriate.