Business Development Executive – Digital Development
Are you an outgoing personality who loves making new relationships and connections? Do you enjoy finding out about people, what they do, what motivates them, their businesses, their plans, the challenges they face and the opportunities they have? Can you do that and represent an award-winning, international digital development agency and all that it offers?
Either you’re a successful digital agency or software house new business developer, looking for your next opportunity, and have a proven track record of increasing revenue through lead generation and developing new business strategies, with an exceptional talent for pitching for new business…
…you have the right talent and character to grow and join us on our journey. So, you could have a background in another industry, such as the arts, education, government or the forces. You might come from recruitment, have studied drama, psychology, been a counsellor, worked in account management, another sales environment, or been a creative or account manager. Whatever the case, you’re looking for a completely new challenge.
The keys for us are enthusiasm, the ability to be entrepreneurial, a willingness to learn, take on new ideas and go out and engage with people at every level, building relationships and trust. You’ll combine this with a passion for and understanding of marketing technology, to have credible conversations that translate your prospects’ needs into the solutions we provide.
You’ll also have a deep interest in technical marketing solutions that align with prospective clients’ business requirements. You’ll want to build and maintain a good knowledge of the complete marketing technology market and recognise new trends.
You enjoy meeting people. You’re happy to engage online, face-to-face and on the phone, as well as attend events. You’re able to have conversations that draw out opportunities, be a detective and make connections between the prospect and what we do, then build an opportunity.
You’ll also be part of the team that responds to Requests for Proposals, presents, sells-in and builds relationships.
The role will involve working with and making proposals alongside our Digital Project Management team and Business Analysts, building budgets, negotiating contracts and helping build ongoing relationships.
Who we are
Based in the heart of vibrant Bristol, Proctor + Stevenson is a highly respected, socially responsible, international marketing and technology agency with a focus on measurable results. We work across Europe, USA, the Middle East and Asia. In fact, we export over 75% of what we do. We’ve doubled in size in the last three years, and now we want to grow more.
Whether online or offline, we provide a full range of design and marketing services, from strategy, campaigns and lead generation, to brand building, events, product communications, web builds and heavy-duty backend systems (this is the bit we are talking about for this role).
And we’re pretty good at it, having won numerous accolades in both the UK and USA, including various awards.
Just a handful of the names we work with on a regular basis include Panasonic, Prysmian, Rathbones, National Grid, Daikin, South West Water and Epson.
We’ve been in the business for over four decades and have an experienced and inspirational team of professionals numbering 70+. We’re proud to be an independent, dynamic and friendly company that really takes care of its staff, offering exciting challenges and room to thrive, with plenty of entertainment and laughter while you do it.
What you’ll be doing
Well, it says it all above really, but in a nutshell you’ll be seeking out and cultivating prospects, and helping convert them into clients. Clients whose budgets can range from £50k to £500k and beyond. We cannot stress enough how vital you’ll be to discovering, then pitching and winning new business for the company on a local and international scale.
You’ll work alongside a lead generation agency (you’re also expected to seek out and develop your own leads) and with the rest of the team on building our marketing and social campaigns. You’ll have help producing the campaigns and assets, carrying out the analytics and generating leads, where possible.
You’ll also work alongside an Agency Business Development Executive who will be working to build our agency online and offline campaign and brand business, again on an international platform.
It’s a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines and it’s vital you ‘take ownership’ of the activity. Every day, you’ll have the chance to work with some amazing B2B brands, and the freedom to truly make the role your own.
Specifically, here are just some of the things we’d like you to do:
- Identify business opportunities, nurture potential relationships and convert those relationships into new business.
- Be the ‘face and voice’ of digital P+S at events, creating valuable business connections.
- Expand and raise our profile, and prompt dialogue, through general networking.
- Work with our Social Media Executive on LinkedIn, and other social media and promotional avenues.
- Use your own expertise and opinions to generate ideas and topics for thought-leadership articles that you know will help your work, to be written by our copy team.
- Contribute to company news and editorial content.
- Develop integrated marketing strategies alongside the Strategic Planning team.
- With others, plan, develop and implement on and offline marketing campaigns to promote P+S and generate new leads.
- Work and cooperate with our lead generation agency, help assess their output, ensure that your strategies and industry and market focus is aligned, alongside that of the Social Media Executive.
- Work with Strategy and Planning and our Social Media Executive to control any customer relationship management (CRM) systems and data, alongside any marketing automation (MA) software.
- Manage your budget.
- Write proposals and respond to tender documents.
- Present appropriate information to the Board, including sales activity, contacts and appointments made, and recent or up-and-coming pitches.
- You’re outgoing, enthusiastic and have a passion for and understanding of technology and the possibilities (continuously building).
- You love making new relationships and connections. You get on with people and thrive in social environments.
- You enjoy finding out about people, what they do, what motivates them, their businesses, their plans, the challenges they face and the opportunities they have.
- You’re entrepreneurial with a willingness to learn, take on new ideas and go out and engage with people at every level, building relationships and trust.
- You’re happy to engage online, face-to-face and on the phone, as well as attend events.
- You’re a detective. You perceptively draw-out opportunities, make connections between the prospect and what we do, then build opportunity.
- You’re a real team player, contributing to best practice and sharing knowledge, resources and ideas, but comfortable working alone when required.
- You could have a proven track record of increasing revenue through lead generation and developing new business strategies, and an exceptional talent for pitching for new business (but not necessarily. Most importantly, as previously described, we’re looking for the right talent and appropriate personality).
- You want to gain outstanding commercial awareness.
- You already do or want to understand online and offline media, branding, digital marketing and ecommerce strategies. If that means extra-curricular study, then you will do it.
- You have excellent written and verbal skills and an all-round ability to communicate confidently with clients, marketers and decision makers at all levels.
- You really enjoy presenting because you are good at it, and if necessary, can help and motivate others who are less confident.
What you’ll be getting
- A competitive salary, based on skills and experience
- A company car
- 23 days holiday, increasing to 25 – plus Bank Holidays
- Training and development opportunities
- The chance to immerse yourself in, and learn from, international client projects
- Company pension scheme
- Private medical insurance
- Maternity and paternity benefits
- Healthcare cash plan
- Cycle to work scheme with secure cycle parking (and a shower at the office!)
- Retail and gym discounts
- Access to independent financial advice
- Frequent social events
- As much tea and coffee, and as many biscuits, as a human can handle
- An all-round wonderful place to work, in the great city of Bristol, with lovely people who are passionate about what they do, but have fun while they do it
So, if you like the sound of us, and you have what it takes to deliver the world-class service our clients demand, please send your CV and a brief covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don’t forget to:
- List your name, followed by the position you are applying for in the subject line.
- Provide links to examples of your work.
- First interviews will be over the phone with our Director of Digital and Strategy.
- The second interview will be face-to-face with our Managing Director, Director of Digital and Strategy, Director of Digital, Director of Client Services and HR Manager. Please be prepared to talk about yourself, not just your career.
- Successful candidates will be invited to meet with the full Board of Directors at a third stage, where they will be expected to make a presentation on a subject of our choice.
It only leaves us to say that we are an equal opportunities employer, welcoming applications from all, and we will always seek to consider flexible working options if appropriate.